Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quality attribute scenarios

Defining a quality attribute, a.k.a. non-functional requirement, is not easy. I know since i did that for a new platform at Volvo. When the verification and validation group comes back and says that it is not possible to verify this as a requirement I can only assume that I did not do a good enough job. But I have to agree with what George Fairbanks wrote in his blog:
Before you get too excited, you should know it’s easier to write these for quantitatively measurable qualities (e.g., throughput, latency) and harder for softer qualities (e.g., modifiability, usability).
There are two recent books that have a more agile approach to architecting: Lean Software Architecture by Coplien and Bjørnvig, and George Fairbanks' Just Enough Software Architecture: A Risk-Driven Approach. Unfortunately the latter isn't available in any Swedish internet bookstore, but as soon as I get hold of them I will post a review, as I have reviewed other books on software architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment